"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

Monday, February 11, 2013

Time in: 5:00 p.m.
Time out: 1:30 a.m.

Unfortunately, the Internet is being wacky again. Sorry this is late.

What I learned on Saturday? People will complain about anything. There's always something they don't like about their job even if it is "their dream job" and "they've never wanted to do anything else with their life." Even if they get to portray Mickey at the happiest place on earth; they'll complain. People are never satisfied. I guess it's just because everything looks better from the outside: you don't know the complications and hassles that come with being Mickey until you have to face them every single day. Dream jobs are never as dreamy in reality.

Right when I got to work I was assigned to build some characters and had to help Mickey and Minnie set up a couple outfits each. Pretty easy work really. There's a tag that goes with each outfit that tells me what all I need to set out for it to be complete; so all I have to do is gather it all together, hook it onto one hanger and attach the tag. That's it. It's pretty simple. Then I went back to Soil and helped sort the dirty costumes for a long time. A lot of my evening was spent in Soil. I cleaned and put away a lot of headpieces and shoes. I've realized that my job is that of a glorified put-er away-er. Pretty low grade work, but people think it's so glamorous just because I'm at Disney. I think that's why so many people willingly sign up for the job: they think it'll be cool to tell everybody they know that they work for Disney; though I bet most of them leave out the part where they sort other peoples' sweaty undershirts and shoes.

I am learning a lot about the structure of a huge organization, though. Disney is basically run by coordinators in every area of the parks. Most places that I've worked before have their daily operations ran by managers, but, from what I've noticed, Disney's managers stay in their offices and do some sort of official paperwork and e-mails every day. It's the coordinators that are out and about in the character room giving people assignments and making sure everything gets done that needs to. It's a different structure, for sure. And scheduling is much different than I'm used to. Before, there's been a real person that I see every day, usually one of the managers, that makes the schedule every week and if you have a problem or question about it, you can go see an individual person directly. Not so at Disney. Here, you see your schedule and  request days off on the computer and someone far off somewhere else in the company either approves or disproves it and it's hard to have a personal conversation about it. It's an interesting system. It's very efficient, of course, but not very personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment